By Flaminio Squazzoni
Most of the exciting social phenomena of our time, reminiscent of foreign terrorism, social inequality, and concrete ethnic segregation, are outcomes of complicated sorts of agent interplay which are tricky to monitor methodically and experimentally. This booklet seems to be at a brand new learn move that uses complicated computing device simulation modelling options to focus on agent interplay that permits us to give an explanation for the emergence of social styles. It offers a mode to pursue analytical sociology investigations that examine proper social mechanisms in quite a few empirical events, comparable to markets, city towns, and organisations.
- Provides a complete creation to epistemological, theoretical and methodological beneficial properties of agent-based modelling in sociology via numerous discussions and examples.
- Presents the professionals and cons of utilizing agent-based versions in sociology.
- Explores agent-based versions in combining quantitative and qualitative facets, and micro- and macro degrees of analysis.
- Looks at how one can pose an agent-based study query, deciding upon the version development blocks, and the way to validate simulation results.
- Features examples of agent-based types that examine an important sociology issues.
- Supported by means of an accompanying site that includes facts units and code for the types incorporated within the book.
Agent-Based Computational Sociology is written in a typical sociological language and lines examples of types that examine all of the conventional explanatory demanding situations of sociology. Researchers and graduate scholars curious about the sphere of agent-based modelling and computing device simulation in parts corresponding to social sciences, cognitive sciences and machine sciences will reap the benefits of this book.
Read or Download Agent-Based Computational Sociology PDF
Similar methodology books
The twenty-three papers gathered in tbis quantity signify a major a part of my released paintings as much as the date of this quantity. i haven't prepared the paper chronologically, yet less than 4 major headings. half I comprises 5 papers on technique fascinated by types and size within the sciences.
This publication deals a unified remedy of my learn within the foundations of anticipated application conception from round 1965 to 1980. whereas elements are new, the presentation attracts seriously on released articles and some chapters in my 1970 monograph on application concept. the various notations and kinds of the resources have after all been reconciled the following, and their issues prepared in a logical series.
This publication is the transcript of a witness seminar at the historical past of experimental economics, during which 11 high-profile experimental economists participated, together with Nobel Laureates Vernon Smith, Reinhard Selten and Alvin Roth. The witness seminar was once built alongside 4 varied issues: abilities, group, laboratory, and investment.
- The Counter-Revolution of Science: Studies on the Abuse of Reason
- Evaluating for Good Practice
- New Thinking in Complexity for the Social Sciences and Humanities: A Generative, Transdisciplinary Approach
- The Anthropologist as Writer: Genres and Contexts in the Twenty-First Century
- Bayesian Evaluation of Informative Hypotheses
- Recent Research in Logic
Additional info for Agent-Based Computational Sociology
And Swedberg, R. (eds) (1998) Social Mechanisms. An Analytical Approach to Social Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. Hedstr¨om, P. and Udehn, L. (2009) Analytical sociology and theories of the middle range, in The Oxford Handbook of Analytical Sociology (eds P. Bearman and P. Hedstr¨om), Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 25–47. Hedstr¨om, P. and Ylikoski, P. (2010) Causal mechanisms in the social sciences. Annual Review of Sociology, 36, 49–67. Hegselmann, R. (1996) Cellular automata in the social sciences: perspectives, restrictions, and artefacts, in Modelling and Simulation in the Social Sciences from the Philosophy Point of P1: TIX/XYZ JWST157-c01 30 P2: ABC JWST157-Squazzoni January 26, 2012 11:5 AGENT-BASED COMPUTATIONAL SOCIOLOGY View (eds R.
Geographical space, institutional rules, and/or social structures) and the constraints they impose on agents’ behavior and interaction; (v) provide sophisticated visualization techniques that allow us to observe and investigate complex interaction dynamics (Epstein and Axtell 1996; Gilbert 2008). , Troitzsch 1997). While system dynamics looks at social system behavior as the result of interaction between social structures, microsimulation, although based on micro units, such as households or individuals, cannot look at social interaction.
3 What are ABMs? An ABM can be deﬁned as a ‘computational method that enables a researcher to create, analyze, and experiment with models composed of agents that interact within an environment’ (Gilbert 2008, p. 2). 5 The rise of distributed artiﬁcial intelligence and the diffusion of the objectoriented programming paradigm, on which ABMs are based, started in the 1990s. This allowed researchers to model agents as separate or distinct parts of a computer program which could contain heterogeneous variables, parameters, and behavior.